Benefits of Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy an be used to treat many cancers, alone or in combination with other treatments. It can be used:
- To treat a cancer and attempt to prevent a recurrence by eliminating a tumor
- Before surgery to help shrink the tumor.
- After surgery to treat any remaining cancer cells.
- In combination with chemotherapy or immunotherapy treatment.
If proton therapy is recommended as part of your treatment, you may be treated on Varian’s ProBeam® system, which targets tumors with high precision thanks to its use of high-definition pencil beam scanning and best-in-class imaging. Only pencil beam scanning is able to deliver Intensity Modulated Proton Therapy (IMPT), which is recognized for its effectiveness and considered an advancement over other proton therapy delivery methods.
IMPT offers a number of advantages:
- Delivers a high dose of proton therapy directly to the tumor
- Sculpts doses to the complex shape and size of an individual tumor
- Reduces the risk of damage to healthy tissues because the beam is designed to stop and deposit dose within the tumor site rather than passing all the way through the patient
Based on proton therapy’s stoppoing power, it may be preferred for treating tumors near vital structures, recurrent cancers, and cancers in children.
Types of cancers treatedProton therapy is effective in treating a number of cancers, including but not limited to:
- Central nervous system
- Base of skull
- Head & neck